priorities for 0.7

Jameson Graef Rollins jrollins at finestructure.net
Wed Jul 6 09:55:00 PDT 2011

Hey, folks.  Now that 0.6 is *finally* out the door, it's time to start
working on 0.7.  As Interim Distinguished co-Chief Vice Tyrant I have
been tasked with starting the discussion on 0.7 release priorities.

Below is just the beginning of list of things that have been discussed
on the list that we should consider merging or working on for 0.7.  It's
weighted towards stuff that I've worked on only because I'm more
familiar with the state of those patches.  Please send follow-ups to
this list to elaborate on certain things, or bring up other patches that
should be considered [0].  We can then push on Carl to merge these ahead
of the 0.7 freeze.

- notmuch-new atomicity:

  id:"1307822683-848-1-git-send-email-amdragon at mit.edu"

  I believe that the above is that latest version of this series; Austin
  can point us to the right one if it's not.  This is an important
  series that is long overdue to be merged.  It should definitely be a
  top priority.

- message/rfc822 part support:

  id:"1307120466-4980-1-git-send-email-jrollins at finestructure.net"
  id:"1307320169-29905-1-git-send-email-jrollins at finestructure.net"

  rfc822 part handling is a bit broken now after the notmuch-show
  rework.  The above patch series should have been included in 0.6 to
  fix a couple of regressions.  In the meantime Austin and I have
  started looking at further rework of notmuch-show to try to clean it
  up even more.  This rework might supersedes these patches, but it
  depends on how far we get.

- emacs: Add notmuch-show-refresh-view function

  id:"1306627784-3401-1-git-send-email-jrollins at finestructure.net"

- emacs: Add callback functions to crypto sigstatus button.

  id:"1306861633-3873-1-git-send-email-jrollins at finestructure.net"

- emacs: notmuch-hello improvements (Daniel Schoepe, Michal Sojka,
  Dmitry Kurochkin, Pieter Praet)

  These guys have been working on various improvements to the
  notmuch-hello page.  I'll let them comment on where they're at with
  that, and what should be merged.

- emacs: tagging race conditions (Austin Clements, Pieter Praet)

  Austin and Pieter have been looking at home to eliminate some race
  conditions when tagging from the emacs interface.  I'll let them
  comment on where that's at.

- emacs: default key bindings

  There's been a lot of discussion about default key bindings for the
  emacs UI.  This issue frankly terrifies me since I worry that it is
  basically impossible to converge on anything.  I think we'll need to
  see a specific full proposal before we can really consider what to do
  here.

- I know there are other old patches that are sinking in to the abyss.
  Hopefully any of those that are still relevant can be excavated.

jamie.

[0] It's maybe not mainline notmuch related, but we really need to get
some sort of tag sharing system worked out.  I can only imagine what
useful info is encoded in Carl's tags that would be invaluable for
everyone else to see, especially the release managers.