branchs and tags and merges oh my!

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Sun Jul 3 05:32:27 PDT 2011

On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 15:23:02 -0500, Jed Brown <jed at 59A2.org> wrote:

> Remind me of why bugfix patches can't (usually) be applied to the
> release branch first, then merged into master?

Yes, that might work out for a "release" consisting of one or two
critical patches, and happening more or less instantly.  But maybe it
makes sense to make more of an effort to do (some of) the release
specific commits first on release and then merging to master, rather
than cherry-picking everything during a freeze.

In that case we obviously need to merge release back to master.  If we
want to have one long running release branch, this leads to cross
merging between the two branches.

                0.6    0.6.1     0.7

This is all a bit hypothetical at this point of course, since there has
never been a bug-fix release.