branchs and tags and merges oh my!

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Sat Jul 2 10:30:58 PDT 2011

On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 11:59:04 -0400, servilio <servilio at gmail.com> wrote:
> What about having Carl do the merging of features into a develop
> branch[1], then the release manager prepares a release in a release
> branch, merging back and tagging into master when release is ready? A
> similar workflow could be followed for bugfix releases (branch to
> bugfix/release branch, prepare, merge back to master, tag).

We could also call the develop branch "master" and use something like
"release" for the branch that contains the release history.  This is
is technically quite close to option #2, but perhaps conceptually
clearer (and throwing in Tom's tagging idea).

       0.7-pre          0.8-pre        0.9-pre
              0.6          0.7.1       0.8

One difference in this version is that a merge from master onto release
(and convenience tagging of master) occurs only when we are ready to
release.  If a bug fix release is desired, it can be done by
committing/cherry-picking on release.