branchs and tags and merges oh my!

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Sat Jul 2 05:44:50 PDT 2011

On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 18:37:27 -0300, David Bremner <david at tethera.net> wrote:

> So now we have to decide what to do. FWIW, there are about 20 commits on
> release past d6f05fd.
>
> There are two obvious strategies going forward.

A third strategy is "git checkout master && git merge -s ours 0.6".
Then history will look like this:

  freeze
--.-------------.----- master
   \           /
               release

As long as every patch on the release branch is already on master, -s
ours (which throws away all the changes from the side branch) is
reasonable.

This has the advantage that "git describe master" starts to count from
0.6 instead of 0.5. Currently e.g. "make dist" on master is making
notmuch-0.5-317-gd15faa1.tar.gz. Unless we are going for the
"increasingly innacurately named" effect, that is probably not what we
want.