Preventing the user shooting themself in the foot

Pieter Praet pieter at praet.org
Fri Jul 1 14:44:33 PDT 2011

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 11:28:10 +1000, Brian May <brian at microcomaustralia.com.au> wrote:
> On 30 June 2011 17:50, Pieter Praet <pieter at praet.org> wrote:
> > And AFAIK, "Archive" does *not* mark a message as read in GMail.
> > (see previous messages suggesting the inverse)
>
> gmail will mark all messages in the thread as read when looking at any
> part of the thread - so in practical terms whenever I click "Archive"
> the entire thread is marked as read - as I always click archive in the
> message view.
>
> Not absolutely convinced this is the best approach. I think it is
> important to appreciate the differences that different implementations
> have chosen.

I was thinking more along the lines of archiving a message from the
Inbox (or similar) view, in which the 'unread' state does remain
preserved.

Marking all messages as read as soon as the thread is opened is a
separate issue (and *far* from sensible), but this heavy-handed approach
is probably a necessity (as opposed to being a deliberate choice) due to
the limitations of its current interface, which Notmuch thankfully
doesn't share.

> --
> Brian May <brian at microcomaustralia.com.au>

Peace