branchs and tags and merges oh my!

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Fri Jul 1 14:37:27 PDT 2011

Much to everyone's relief, 0.6 is finally released.

From a git perspective, the release process went like this.

0) I branched release from master on June 22
1) I cherry-picked some subset of post June 22 commits from master to
   release
1a) actually I cheated and cherry-picked the last few commits
    back from release to master. I don't _think_ this matters.
2) I tagged and uploaded from branch release

-----.-------------- master
     \
      ----------release 0.6

So now we have to decide what to do. FWIW, there are about 20 commits on
release past d6f05fd.

There are two obvious strategies going forward.

1) repeat the whole thing with a new release branch for 0.7 and end up
with

----------.--------------.------- master
           \              \

2) merge master onto the release branch

            0.6       now      freeze

I personally think having git log 0.6..0.7 do something sensible is
worth a lot, but this option does in some sense make the history of
master messier (some commits occur twice with different sha1's).

Discussion?