Preventing the user shooting themself in the foot

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Jun 29 15:40:40 PDT 2011

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 20:42:01 +0100, Robin Green <greenrd at greenrd.org> wrote:
> It's really dangerous to use the 'a' key in notmuch-mode in an inbox
> thread which has multiple unread replies! Yes, the other unread replies
> will still be tagged unread, but the user might not immediately be aware
> of them. It would be really useful to have an optional warning ("More
> unread messages in this thread, are you sure?") for this situation!

That was why I originally designed the space bar keybinding for reading
through each message in turn, (and then it archives the thread only when you
page past the last message).

The 'a' keybinding, (in turn), was designed for cases when you *know*
you don't want to read the rest of the thread.

That was the original idea behind these two, at least.  In any case,
it's doing exactly what it's defined to do.

Perhaps you're just missing a key for archiving the current message (and
advancing to the next)?

I know there are various problems with the current keybindings—and
several obviously-missing operations. And it's funny how long I've put
up with shortcomings rather than just fixing them.

I'll be glad to look at proposals for improving things.

-Carl

carl.d.worth at intel.com