notmuch Digest, Vol 20, Issue 57

Mark Anderson ma.skies at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 15:38:30 PDT 2011

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 23:43:52 +0200, "Sander Boer" <sanboer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> writes:>
> >
> > Hopefully it's clear enough that you could do the above in a script that
> > loops over all of your existing tags.
> >
> > And if you were doing a one-time switch from Gmail to notmuch that would
> > be all you would need.
> >
> > I don't know if you're looking to also push tags added via some notmuch
> > interface back to Gmail, (does Gmail even provide a mechanism for doing
> > that?). If so, then you'd need something that took notmuch tags and made
> > copies of the message in the appropriate files. That would hopefully be
> > easy to script based on the output of:
> >
> > 	notmuch search --output=files tag:important

You'd probably actually want this:

         notmuch search --output=files tag:importand and not folder:important

Although until the folder: tag bug is fixed, it won't be as definitive
as you want, because once the message was in folder:important, it
doesn't really leave.

However, With my recent patch you'll also get more filenames than you
want for this behavior.  If you already have the mail in All Mail,
Inbox, my_special_tag, and not_that_tag, do you want 4 links or copies
of the message placed in the folder for Important?

I had thought of this, because I am a Gmail/notmuch user (well,
somewhat, I have some of the infra in place, but it's not polished, I
usually end up using phone or web)

I had briefly considered adding another output format "file", just to get a
single file for each message in the db, but the file/files distinction
feels a bit niggling.  Perhaps it should be changed to "files" and
"filelists" or something else more clear.

It was nagging me as I implemented the fix I submitted, which looks like
it has been pushed.

Any comments?  I don't think I have time to code any changes to this for
a couple days.

> > I think my short answer is that it's fairly easy to convert from Gmail
> > tags to notmuch tags as part of a one-time import. Doing this on a
> > continual basis might benefit from writing a few scripts, and I don't
> > know if anyone has written those scripts yet.

Yes, you need a label->folder as well as a folder->label part of the
script.  I think of it as:

1. label->folder sync
2. offlineimap (pushes label changes, pulls new mail)
3. folder->label sync

There is certainly room for some conflict, if you use multiple
interfaces.  So watch your head.

-Mark