[python] segfaults at Message.get_date

Dmitry Kurochkin dmitry.kurochkin at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 02:45:07 PDT 2011

Hi Sebastian, Patrick.

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 12:30:01 +0200, Sebastian Spaeth <Sebastian at SSpaeth.de> wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 17:10:24 +0100, Patrick Totzke :
> > #0  0x006eb87d in Xapian::Document::Internal::get_value(unsigned int) const () from /usr/lib/sse2/libxapian.so.22
> > #1  0x006eb952 in Xapian::Document::get_value(unsigned int) const () from /usr/lib/sse2/libxapian.so.22
> > #2  0x00523963 in notmuch_message_get_date () from /usr/local/lib/libnotmuch.so.1
>
> One question, what type is libnotmuch really returning here? The code:
>

> time_t
> notmuch_message_get_date (notmuch_message_t *message)
> {   ...
>     return Xapian::sortable_unserialise (value);
> }
>
> But Xapian API says that sortable_unserialise() returns floating type "double"
>
> http://xapian.org/docs/apidoc/html/namespaceXapian.html#326fe2d6b0ee59ac9536f3960e8fd99b
> "Convert a string encoded using sortable_serialise back to a floating
> point number."
>
> But time_t is usually a (signed) long and not floating point. Obviously
> things have worked just fine so far, but is libnotmuch really returning
> the right type here? Sorry, I expose my total lack of basic C++ knowledge
> here...

Converting double to time_t does not look good.  Notmuch converts
between time_t and double both when setting and getting the date.  I
guess it should work good in most cases at least.  Perhaps Carl knows
better that it is safe.

This is not relevant to the segfault.  The failure happens in:

  value = message->doc.get_value (NOTMUCH_VALUE_TIMESTAMP);

before conversion from double to time_t.

Sebastian, are you able to reproduce the issue?  A python script that
triggers the bug, perhaps?  I would look at this if I can reproduce the
problem.

Patrick, can you install debugging symbols for libxapian and get the
backtrace again?  On Debian you need to install libxapian22-dbg.

Regards,
  Dmitry