When will we have our next release?

David Bremner bremner at unb.ca
Sat Jun 4 06:21:00 PDT 2011

Overall I think Carl's time based release proposal is a reasonable
plan. I think one problem we've been having is that we seem to have lost
track of

    # Releases of notmuch have a two-digit version (0.1, 0.2, etc.). We
    # increment the second digit for each release and increment the first
    # digit when we reach particularly major milestones of usability.

In short, I think we are make too big of a deal out of releases. Looking
at the log between 0.5 and now, there are features enough to justify
several minor releases.

On Fri, 03 Jun 2011 15:56:42 -0700, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:

> Frankly, I wouldn't mind doing strict time-based releases with something
> like the following:
>
> 	* We schedule a release period (once per month?)

I think every two months might be a bit more comfortable, but then
again, 1 month would keep us from "making a big deal out of releases."

> 	* We schedule a "safety period" before the release (one week?)
> 	* At the beginning of the safety period, package up the head
>           of the notmuch tree and upload to Debian experimental and
>           anywhere else similar.

Sure. I don't mind doing that part, at least for Debian.  I'm going to
try to do at roughly weekly uploads to Debian experimental. Hopefully
this will get some critical mass of users testing those versions.