normalizing part numbering across PGP/MIME processing

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Fri May 27 11:34:17 PDT 2011

On Fri, 27 May 2011 03:27:35 -0700, Jameson Graef Rollins <jrollins at finestructure.net> wrote:
> Ok.  So I very much hope this patch series satisfies those who were
> bothered by the part renumbering that was happening when PGP/MIME
> parts were processed.  For signed messages we no longer modify the
> parts at all, so numbering always remains constant, and for encrypted
> messages the numbering will only change if the encrypted message is
> itself multipart.  We'll have to live with the encrypted multipart
> renumbering until we have a more sophisticated part numbering scheme.
> However, that's a separate issue that can hopefully be dealt with
> after the full crypto functionality is pulled.

These patches resolve my outstanding part-numbering concern with the
crypto verification business.  I recommend merging them to the mainline.

Then can we release 0.6 pretty please? :)

There's nothing stopping us from releasing 0.7 if there are more
features pending, but i'd really like to be able to say "please run 0.6
or later to handle verifying cryptographic signatures".

     --dkg