My mail configuration

eric casteleijn thisfred at gmail.com
Fri May 20 15:39:22 PDT 2011

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 09:22:57 -0500, Ben Gamari <bgamari.foss at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is my mail sorting script that has been slowly evolving for almost
> a year now. It uses the Python bindings, along with Bogofilter for spam
> filtering. There is also an update-spam script which brings the
> Bogofilter database in to synchronization with the notmuch tags. On this
> note, if someone wants to implement the ability to hide certain tags
> (say, those matching /\..+/) in the emacs interface it would be greatly
> appreciated. I have notmuch configured such that all new mail starts
> with just the "new" tag. The sorting script then takes it from
> there. Hope this will give folks some ideas.

Hi Ben,

After a few previous tries, I finally came up with a notmuch setup that
works for me, and it's largely thanks to your example, which I've
modified slightly (of course ;) to suit my own purposes. The thing that
I really liked was the 'watch' tag for mailing list messages, but after
initial experimentation with it, I still felt paranoid about missing
stuff that I cared about, since anything that does not go through my
inbox is unlikely to ever show up on my radar.

The solution I chose was to have an 'unwatch' tag (which could do with a
better name, maybe 'ignore', or 'skip-inbox') that I apply to threads
that I have no interest in. I also decided that (for me) this was not
really tied to mailing list messages. My change made the script quite a
bit simpler, (it gets rid of the unseen tag for one thing,) though at
the cost of some of the original functionality, I realize. So, while I
doubt this will be massively useful to you, or other people with a lot
of list traffic with a very high noise-to-signal ratio, it may be of
interest to others who have use cases more like my own.

I put my copies under version control here:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~thisfred/+junk/scripts/view/head:/sort_mail.py
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~thisfred/+junk/scripts/view/head:/update_junk.py

(Though I'm not sure I changed anything substantial in the second one.)

Also I made some simple keybindings to mark stuff as junk/unwatch in my
.emacs:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~thisfred/+junk/scripts/view/head:/.emacs#L552

Hope someone finds this of use,

--