MIME restructuring [was: Re: release-candidate/0.6]

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Mon May 16 14:28:50 PDT 2011

On 05/16/2011 05:20 PM, Carl Worth wrote:
> Interestingly, this is not quite the behavior I get (with commit
> 373f352). With --format=text I'm now seeing:
>
> 2) C
> 3) D
> 4) E

--format=text should only show the parts that are readable in text.

the ultimate goal is to get the part numbers aligned across all --format
choices, regardless of the ability of the format to show the actual nesting.

> So that explains some of my confusion. The behavioral change of this
> commit is really only impacting the json format, and not the text. That
> wasn't clear from the commit message (and I had only been doing my
> testing with the text backend).

It should ultimately affect the numbering in all parts.  There's no way
for the text part to do anything like the nesting that we're doing in
json, though, due to the output format.

> This seems to be justifying my fears about the code duplication---the
> two code paths are already divergent, (which means that things like
> notmuch part-number identifiers cannot be used between the different
> formats). I'd like to fix that by preventing the code duplication.
>
> Also, both paths seem to be suffering from some excess part-number
> incrementing somewhere.

The confusions you outline were fixed (by me, iirc) somewhere later in
the crypto tree.  I did not want to tamper with dme's crypto branch
directly (though i now suspect that's what i should have done).

i'd give you a commit ID, but i suspect you're sufficiently rebased that
this wouldn't be helpful.

	--dkg