doc: notmuch help search-terms, boolean operators

Austin Clements amdragon at mit.edu
Tue Apr 26 16:55:14 PDT 2011

The full precedence is rather complicated, once you include all Xapian
operators and exceptions.  See
http://trac.xapian.org/browser/trunk/xapian-core/queryparser/queryparser.lemony,
particularly starting at line 1560.  Your precedence list is mostly
right, except that AND and NOT have the same precedence (and are
disambiguated by left-associativity in binary situations).

I think the real question is what we *want* notmuch to support.  My
understanding from id:"8762rq8byr.fsf at yoom.home.cworth.org" is that
things like NEAR and ADJ were intentionally omitted from the
documentation; that while notmuch inherits them from the Xapian query
parser, they aren't considered part of the "notmuch" query syntax.  I
would also classify XOR as dubious (even the Xapian docs call it
esoteric), but I'm happy to be convinced otherwise.

I'd love to know what people want from the query syntax for the
purposes of trimming down the custom query parser patch, and it would
also answer what should be documented (the current "etc" in the
documentation is just asking for trouble!).  I would propose "and",
"or", "not", "-" (and maybe "+" for symmetry, even though it's a
no-op), brackets, phrases, and wildcards, but what do other people
think?