Filtering out replies to a patch series

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Mon Apr 25 14:02:32 PDT 2011

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011 11:47:25 +0300, Amit Kucheria <amit.kucheria at verdurent.com> wrote:
> Several patches in the series could have replies to them and hence
> they need to be filtered out.

I think I haven't run into this problem since when there's a reply, (on
this list at least), it's often of the form "please fix up this issue or
another" which then results in a subsequent mail with a new patch
series.

So I've been getting by with:

	| (cd ~/src/notmuch; git am -3)

And I think that "git am" probably handles an erroneous reply fairly
smoothly here, (gives "patch did not apply" and user does "git rebase
--continue" probably?).

Meanwhile, I have friends and co-workers that live within the world of
the Linux-kernel mailing list. And that world has a culture where people
reply with things like:

	Signed-off-by: Elite Hacker <elite at example.com>
or:
	Reviewed-by: Quality Coder <qc at example.com>

And it would be awfully convenient to have an easy mechanism for the
right thing to happen with replies like this, (which is that lines like
the above should be added to the commit message of the message above).

It would probably make sense for any extra smarts along these lines to
be implemented in "git am" rather than in anything in notmuch I think.

-Carl

carl.d.worth at intel.com