notmuch painfully slow

Xavier Maillard xma at gnu.org
Fri Apr 22 07:14:52 PDT 2011

Hi,

as time goes, notmuch is really becoming slower and slower. It may be
normal as it has more and more messages to "track" but I am not sure it
is that normal give these numbers:

- notmuch version: notmuch 0.5-133-gc509598
- notmuch count: 18475
- uname: Linux kcals 2.6.33.4-smp #2 SMP Wed May 12 22:47:36 CDT 2010
         i686 Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270   @ 1.60GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
- Load average: 0.00 0.00 0.00 1/144 28377
- Memory:
Mem:           992        881        111          0        253        500
-/+ buffers/cache:        127        865
Swap:          506          0        505

This is on a Slackware GNU/linux system on a Eee PC 901 (thus SSD
storage). I am using my computer *exclusively* in the virtual linux
console (tty) and 99% of my tasks are done through GNU Emacs (dunno if
is of any interest for this problem though).

My sync script is taking really long time to achieve, updating one mail
at a time is also really slow (several seconds). In the worst cases,
updating my collection can take upto 15 minutes and updating just one
message can take up to the minute too !

What is happening here ? Is there any maintenance task I should do onto
my mail collection ?

Thank you for your help.

/Xavier