Optimization for notmuch tag by implicit filters

Pieter Praet pieter at praet.org
Sat Apr 16 05:59:34 PDT 2011

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 10:23:46 +0200, Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net> wrote:

> With 60k messages and 12k tagged as sent:
>
> $ time notmuch tag +sent -- from:flo at chaoflow.net
>
> real	0m8.561s
> user	0m8.069s
> sys	0m0.212s
>
> $ time notmuch tag +sent -- from:flo at chaoflow.net and not tag:sent
>
> real	0m0.043s
> user	0m0.036s
> sys	0m0.006s
>

> This could be made implicit:
>
> notmuch tag +A +B -- <filter>
> -->
> notmuch tag +A +B -- <filter> and not \(tag:A and tag:B\)
>
> Apply command, if one of the tags is not set.
>

> notmuch tag -C -D -- <filter>
> -->
> notmuch tag -C -D -- <filter> and \(tag:C or tag:D\)
>
> Apply command, if one of the tags is set.
>

> notmuch tag +A +B -C -D -- <filter>
> -->
> notmuch tag +A +B -C -D -- <filter> and \(not tag:A or not tag:B\ or tag:C or tag:D\)
>

> In order to enforce tagging and disable the filter there could be a
> flag.
>
> I lack the knowledge/time to implement it, but I think it's at least
> worth documenting it.
>
> --
> Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
>   GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
> Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
> IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC
Non-text part: application/pgp-signature

Most of us already do this explicitly in our tagging scripts, so no harm
in making it standard behaviour, I guess.

Though to keep the implementation nice & clean, I'd advise against the
use of parens: no need for escape chars, no messing with De Morgan's
law, simply map the tag operations to their inverse in conjunctively
joined filters:

notmuch tag +A +B -- <filter> and not tag:A or not tag:B
notmuch tag -C -D -- <filter> and tag:C or tag:D
notmuch tag +A +B -C -D -- <filter> and not tag:A or not tag:B or tag:C or tag:D

Peace

-Pieter