Debugging strangeness in To: field

Mark Anderson MarkR.Anderson at amd.com
Wed Apr 6 14:26:06 PDT 2011

On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 13:35:44 -0600, Mark Anderson <MarkR.Anderson at amd.com> wrote:
Hello All,

> It is rather painful that I can have a lot of recipients dropped
> silently by gmime.

Well, it's not this bad, I only lose the rest of the display name and
the true email address for the recipients where this matches.  Later
recipients are preserved.  That's better than I thought, but definitely
not good, since the same email list can have multiple display names
depending on the sender's preferences, and now I have no guarantee that
notmuch will have the true email address indexed.  Hopefully this poor
behavior is related to my exposure to Exchange and isn't contagious
without willful stupidity. :)

This behavior also breaks the idea that I can just copy and paste from
the To: field into a search, since some terms will be missing.

It looks like it would be better to stuff the entire string of the To:
field directly into Xapian.  GMime will give you a string output of what it
figured out from the message header, but that already has terms pruned
as shown below:

>From the raw file:

To: One Big Happy <OneBigHappy at amd.com>,
	dist.Happy Group <dist.HappyGroup at amd.com>,
        This Really Stinks <something_smelly at notfromhere.com>,
        This.WillPrune <wrinkled_plum at plumfarm.com>,
        This Will Not Prune <plump_plums at plumsrus.com>

Trace output:

Email address list: One Big Happy <OneBigHappy at amd.com>, dist.Happy, This Really Stinks <something_smelly at notfromhere.com>, This.WillPrune, This Will Not Prune <plump_plums at plumsrus.com>
Email address: One Big Happy <OneBigHappy at amd.com>
Email address: dist.Happy
Email address: This Really Stinks <something_smelly at notfromhere.com>
Email address: This.WillPrune
Email address: This Will Not Prune <plump_plums at plumsrus.com>

Any suggestions for how to fix this?  Or is my mail broken irreparably?

-Mark