Questions about importing mail (mbox)

Mueen Nawaz mueen at nawaz.org
Mon Mar 21 19:07:21 PDT 2011

Jesse Rosenthal <jrosenthal at jhu.edu> writes:

> I didn't need to convert when I started using notmuch, but for past
> mbox-to-maildir conversions, I always had the most confidence in using
> mutt interactively. Tag all messages (S-t, all), copy or save to a
> maildir, and make sure your mbox_type is set appropriately. There are
> scripts out there to automate it, but if you're worried about missing
> something, doing it by hand might work a bit better for you. (You can
> also do it in chunks by date to make sure everything is moving over.)
> Not the most efficient, but you should only have to do it once.

Thanks - will give it a try. It half solves my problem, in that I can do
a message count using mutt before and after to see the conversion went
well. The second issue is figuring out if notmuch really did index all
of them - challenging because I have plenty of dupes. I may just have to
take it all on faith for now.

As I had mentioned, when using going from MH to notmuch, it complained
for about 20 messages. I was in a hurry so didn't take a detailed look,
but two of them were clearly corrupt in my mbox file. They had a from
and virtually no other headers. So perhaps all the problems I'm having
stem from corrupt messages in my mbox...