problem with folder: search in python bindings

Jameson Rollins jrollins at finestructure.net
Mon Mar 21 09:32:52 PDT 2011

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 16:29:57 +0100, Sebastian Spaeth <Sebastian at SSpaeth.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 09:19:29 -0700, Jameson Rollins <jrollins at finestructure.net> wrote:
> > Hey, Sebastian.  Can you share your notmuch.py script?
>
> No, it's my secret plan for earning my pension :).
> You already got it:
> http://git.notmuchmail.org/git/notmuch/blob/HEAD:/bindings/python/notmuch.py

Thanks, Sebastian.  Very convenient of you to include it in the repo!

> Let me know what you find out.

So right off the bat I'm seeing a big discrepancy between the results
From notmuch and notmuch.py:

servo:~/src/notmuch/git [personal] 0$ notmuch count from:jrollins
34358
servo:~/src/notmuch/git [personal] 0$ ./bindings/python/notmuch.py count from:jrollins
34358
servo:~/src/notmuch/git [personal] 0$ notmuch count folder:sent
635
servo:~/src/notmuch/git [personal] 0$ ./bindings/python/notmuch.py count folder:sent
7
servo:~/src/notmuch/git [personal] 0$

As you can see, the two interfaces are returning the same results for
the "from:jrollins" search, but the binary is returning 635 results for
the "folder:sent" search while the python interface is returning 7.
That's a big discrepancy.  This must be related to the same problem I
was seeing with my test case.

I'm running notmuch.py from my "personal" branch, which is the same
branch that the binary has been compiled from.  My database has also
recently been rebuild from the same branch.

I really have no idea what could be going on here.  It's a stranger
result even than the one I was seeing before, since it is actually
returning *some* results.

Any suggestions about how we might go about debugging this?

jamie.