problem with folder: search in python bindings

Jameson Rollins jrollins at finestructure.net
Tue Mar 15 11:30:30 PDT 2011

Hey, folks.  I'm seeing something peculiar with the python bindings.
It seems that I am not able to get any results when doing "folder:"
searches with the python bindings.  I'm using a version of notmuch that
includes the folder index patch.

Attached is a script that demonstrates the problem.  It generates a test
repository, then does a couple of searches over it.  When running the
script, I get the following output:

0$ ./python-folder-search-test
Found 2 total files (that's not much mail).
Note: Ignoring non-mail file: /home/jrollins/tmp/tmp.1dMO5vnweJ/config
Processed 2 total files in almost no time.
Added 1 new message to the database.
== notmuch search '*':
thread:0000000000000001  Yest. 23:26 [1/1] Jameson Rollins; python documentation (inbox signed unread)
== notmuch search 'folder:sent':
thread:0000000000000001  Yest. 23:26 [1/1] Jameson Rollins; python documentation (inbox signed unread)
== python search '*':
Jameson Rollins <jrollins at finestructure.net> (2011-03-14) (inbox signed unread) (-1) replies
== python search 'folder:sent':
0$

You can see that cli notmuch returns search results when searching for
"folder:sent".  The python bindings, on the other hand, return nothing.

Anyone have any idea what could be going on here?  I'm not familiar with
how the python bindings work, unfortunately.

jamie.