Build system

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu Mar 10 20:02:33 PST 2011

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 17:42:16 -0600, Rob Browning <rlb at defaultvalue.org> wrote:
> > This isn't ideal since it means that a non-srcdir build won't get access
> > to updated emacs nor test-suite bits without re-running configure. If
> > someone would like to do work to fix either or both of these cases, that
> > would be helpful.
>
> If you're willing to depend on GNU coreutils, would "cp -rl ..." work?

I'd be willing to, but it wouldn't then also get access to new files
that appear in the test suite, (where the Makefiles could actually find
new, uncopied source files).

But wait, what am I thinking... the whole approach of the non-srcdir
builds as currently implemented also copies the Makefiles. So nothing at
all is going to work without re-running configure for non-srcdir builds.

I suppose that what we want is for configure to automatically add
dependencies for every file that it copies. Then if any of these copied
files get changed in the srcdir, configure would be run again.

That should be pretty slick, I think.

-Carl

carl.d.worth at intel.com