signed/encrypted tagging in crypto branch

Jameson Rollins jrollins at finestructure.net
Sun Mar 6 11:15:00 PST 2011

On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 00:26:46 -0800, Jameson Rollins <jrollins at finestructure.net> wrote:
> Hey, folks.  I just pushed a couple of patches to my "crypto" branch [0]
> that add support for auto-tagging of multipart/signed and
> multipart/encrypted messages with the "signed" and "encrypted" tags
> respectively.  Only new messages are thus tagged, so a database rebuild
> is required to auto-tag old messages.

So I realized last night, what now seems obvious, that restoring tags
after a notmuch new will override any initial auto tagging.  This means
that doing a database rebuild will *not* crypto tag all your old mail if
you then restore tags from a tag dump afterwords.

I'm not sure if there's anything that can be done about this.  I think
we either have to have a way to merge tags, or the signed and encrypted
indicators need to exist in a different field in the database.  Tags
allow more flexibility in the UIs, but maybe we could just tag based on
a the new database field somehow?

It's not such a big deal that we only get "signed" and "encrypted" from
here forward, but it would be nice to re-tag old messages this way.  I
can imagine that something like this will come up again in the future,
and it would be nice if we had a solution.  I'm open to suggestions.

jamie.