[Review] Re: new "crypto" branch providing full PGP/MIME support

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Mon Feb 28 12:08:39 PST 2011

On 02/28/2011 02:56 PM, Jameson Rollins wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 13:59:54 -0500, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg at fifthhorseman.net> wrote:
>> But: what does the "signed" tag mean? i wouldn't want to necessarily
>> conflate these four ideas:
>
> These are good points, Daniel.  However, I had actually just been
> thinking of something much simpler, along the lines of just tagging
> "signed" any message with a "multipart/signed" part, and "encrypted" any
> message with a "multipart/encrypted" part.

this is a fair answer to my questions, not an evasion -- you're
selecting level 0 in both tracks, which is not a bad thing (it's
certainly simpler to get right!)

The outstanding question in my mind is whether those tags could be
mistaken by a naïve user for meaning one of the other concepts.  Is
there a way to name the tags to minimize that kind of confusion?

	--dkg