running the crypto branch [was: Re: Hiding HTML mime-parts and/or scrubbing (gmail's) HTML-based citation]

Jameson Rollins jrollins at finestructure.net
Sat Feb 26 16:27:35 PST 2011

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 01:00:08 +0100, Xavier Maillard <xavier at maillard.im> wrote:
> What is the easy way to switch to your codebase from notmuch mainline ?
> I mean, what exact commands do we need to type in order to use your
> branch code ? Knowing that would certainly help people in switching and
> testing your code.

Hey, Xavier.  Thanks for asking.  Here's what I would suggest:

1. Add my public repo as a remote in your notmuch git repository:

$ git remote add jrollins git://finestructure.net/notmuch

2. Update your remotes to pull in the remote branches

$ git remote update

At this point you should see my public branches as remote-tracking
branches in your repository, e.g.:

$ git branch -a
  remotes/jrollins/crypto
  remotes/jrollins/master
  remotes/jrollins/personal

3. Check out my crypto branch into a local branch:

$ git checkout --track jrollins/crypto

This will put you in a new local branch in your repository called
"crypto" that will be tracking my public crypto branch.

4. Compile notmuch in the crypto branch and install it, however you
usually do.  I do something like this:

./configure --prefix=~/opt/notmuch
make
make test
make install

I then run notmuch in emacs like this:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/opt/notmuch/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
emacs -L ~/opt/notmuch/share/emacs/site-lisp -f notmuch

I hope that helps.  Please let me know if you have any other questions.
And of course we'd love to hear any and all feedback on the new
cryptographic features!

jamie.