Folder search semantics

Rob Browning rlb at defaultvalue.org
Sun Feb 20 12:00:48 PST 2011

Rob Browning <rlb at defaultvalue.org> writes:

> And personally, I think I'd prefer that folder: be anchored by default,
> so that folder:work means "the top-level folder named work", but it's
> not a big deal to me as long as there's a fairly easy way to specify
> exactly what I want.

Oh, and in part, the reason why I suspect anchored might be a better
default is that it's more conservative.

For example, someone who mistakenly assumes that folder: is anchored by
default doesn't do any unexpected damage with something like this:

  $ notmuch tag +deleted folder:misc
  $ notmuch search tag:deleted ... | xargs rm

FWIW
--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org