ordering threads by the latest message in a thread ?

Jesse Rosenthal jrosenthal at jhu.edu
Wed Feb 9 10:36:17 PST 2011

On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 13:22:26 -0500, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg at fifthhorseman.net> wrote:

> Jameson, are you saying that "Search Oldest First" not only inverts the
> order of the threads, but also changes the a date a given thread is
> associated with?

The procedure is to match threads by either the oldest matching message
(in oldest first) or newest matching message (in newest first). So
matching newest first will make the thread with new messages go to the
top. But in oldest first -- which is what I imagine Sebastian was
looking at in the inbox -- the thread with an older inbox message will
appear further up.

So if Sebastian's message is tagged "inbox" this thread will appear,
under oldest-first, when he sent it; if it's not but Jamie's is, then it
will appear under Jamie's. But it'll appear under mine regardless in
newest first. I don't believe emacs has anything to do with it -- it's
how the nm binary orders threads as output to "search."

Apologies if this is restating what everyone already knew -- I couldn't
quite tell.

Best,
Jesse