Remote usage script updated

Michal Sojka sojkam1 at fel.cvut.cz
Sat Feb 5 15:58:29 PST 2011

On Sat, 05 Feb 2011, Michal Sojka wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2011, Jesse Rosenthal wrote:
> > A future feature might be to integrate the ControlMaster feature of
> > openssh into the script, instead of having to open a connection
> > manually, but there are some complications there (dead sockets still
> > around if you go offline, etc.).
>
> In another project I worked around the dead sockets this way:
>
> sshgw() {
>     local socket="$HOME/.ssh/cangw-connection"
>
>     if [[ ! -S $socket ]] || ! ssh -x -a -S $socket root at 192.168.2.3 true; then
> 	# Create master connection to speed up subsequent commands.
> 	ssh -N -f -M -S $socket root at 192.168.2.3 >/dev/null 2>&1
>     fi
>     ssh -x -a -S $socket root at 192.168.2.3 "$@"
> }

Hmm, this code worked well with dropbear ssh server but it seems that
with openssh server the result is not that good. Namely, if the master
connection is dead, the command running true blocked for a long time. I
have always killed it before it timed out so I don't know whether it
blocks indefinitely or there is only long timeout.

I may look at this later, but I use notmuch remotely only from time to
time so this is not priority for me.

-Michal