Strange match to my query

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue Jan 25 18:19:17 PST 2011

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 19:51:14 -0500, Austin Clements <amdragon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well-constructed test message.  Xapian's query parser is actually doing the
> right thing [1] and this is a bug in the way notmuch indexes address list
> headers.  For each address, _notmuch_message_gen_terms resets the term
> generator's term position, so your To header indexes with positions as
>   c:1 hello:2 com:3 K:1 R:2 world:3 com:4

Thanks, Austin!

I was actually giving a demo of notmuch to someone yesterday who was
really interested in the details of how Xapian actually stores things.

I dug around a bit with delve and we were both really surprised by the
position results we were seeing. Neither of us could make any sense of
them at all.

And thanks, Mark for the bug report and the nice test case. I'll add
this to the test suite, and fix it. And that will give us yet one more
reason for all of us to rebuild our databases after the upcoming
release.

-Carl

carl.d.worth at intel.com