./configure with CC="ccache gcc" doesn't work

Andy Wingo wingo at oblong.com
Thu Jan 20 04:40:01 PST 2011

Hi Michal,

On Thu 20 Jan 2011 10:50, Michal Sojka <sojkam1 at fel.cvut.cz> writes:

> Hmm, the IFS thing in configure seems annoying in this case. But you can
> create a little script containing
>
>   exec ccache gcc "$@"
>
> and set CC to the name of the script, cannot you?

Sure.  But the ccache thing is fairly common, AFAIK, and IMO notmuch's
configure should either handle spaces in a non-absolute-path $CC or exit
with an error in that case.

And, oddly enough, the $CC does succeed in compiling, modulo this build
error -- so it seems that the $IFS isn't actually providing any benefit
in this case.  (If the IFS did its job, I would expect to see an error
like "ccache gcc: command not found" or something.)

Andy