./configure with CC="ccache gcc" doesn't work

Andy Wingo wingo at oblong.com
Wed Jan 19 08:24:57 PST 2011

Hello,

On my Fedora 13 x86-64 system,

    $ env | grep CC
    CC=ccache gcc
    $ ./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64
    [...]
    Checking for getline... No (will use our own instead).
    Checking for strcasestr... No (will use our own instead).
    Checking for rpath support... No (nothing to worry about).
    Checking for -Wl,--as-needed... No (nothing to worry about).
    [... success ...]

The replacement strcasestr later causes build errors:

    CXX -O2 lib/directory.o
    In file included from lib/notmuch-private.h:41,
                     from lib/directory.cc:22:
    /usr/include/string.h:371: error: new declaration ‘const char* strcasestr(const char*, const char*)’
    compat/compat.h:46: error: ambiguates old declaration ‘char* strcasestr(const char*, const char*)’

But if I export CC=gcc, things succeed:

    Checking for getline... Yes.
    Checking for strcasestr... Yes.
    Checking for rpath support... Yes.

And the build goes fine.

I think the problem occurs due to the IFS setting in configure.  Not
sure what the right solution is; I am not married to having ccache in the
environment.  It's simply that this is what has worked in the past.  If
there is a better option for using ccache I'm happy to switch, as long
as it's globally applicable.

Happy hacking,

Andy