Tag changes not persisted in message view

Günter Ladwig guenter at ladwig.info
Sun Jan 9 09:08:52 PST 2011

Hi,

I installed notmuch yesterday and imported an account with about 9000
mails. The import worked fine and the Emacs client shows all messages.

However, I ran into an problem with changing tags in the message view: I
noticed that mails were not marked as read (i.e., their unread tag was
not removed) after reading them in the message view. After some
experimentation I can say that adding or removing tags in the message
view does not work at all (neither manually nor implicitly through
reading or archiving). While the UI is updated (i.e., the tags shown in
the headers), the changes are not persisted. Neither the search results
view nor the command line client show the changes made in the message
view. After reopening a message, the tags will again appear as before.

Changing tags from the search results view or the command line works
fine, even though it is slow (I think this is caused by that Xapian bug
I saw some references to). Adding and removing tags in the message view
is however instantaneous (although ineffective), which seems to indicate
that Xapian was not called (or incorrectly).

I'm using the latest version from the git repository (although I tried
0.5 as well, without any difference). I'm on Mac OS with Cocoa Emacs
23.2.1 (tried the console version as well). I also tried a pristine
Emacs configuration to remove interference with other Emacs packages,
but no such luck. Here's output from configure:

Checking for Xapian development files... Yes (1.0.15).
Checking for GMime development files... Yes (gmime-2.4).
Checking for Glib development files (>= 2.14)... Yes.
Checking for talloc development files... Yes.
Checking for valgrind development files... No (but that's fine).
Checking if emacs is available... Yes.
Checking which platform we are on... Mac OS X.
Checking for getline... No (will use our own instead).
Checking for strcasestr... Yes.
Checking for rpath support... No (nothing to worry about).
Checking for -Wl,--as-needed... No (nothing to worry about).
Checking for available C++ compiler warning flags...
-Wall -Wextra -Wwrite-strings -Wswitch-enum
Checking for available C compiler warning flags...
-Wall -Wextra -Wwrite-strings -Wswitch-enum -Wmissing-declarations

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Günter