[FEATURE REQUEST]: post-processing on notmuch new

Ben Gamari bgamari at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 21:30:45 PST 2010

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 23:27:45 +0100, Xavier Maillard <xma at gnu.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am I alone thinking it could be cool to specify a post-processing script
> to run after 'notmuch new' ?
>
> Currently, one can tell notmuch to add a unique tag but I guess we could
> extend this to something much smarter. I guess I am not alone using a
> tagging script after each refresh.

You are certainly not alone, but I don't see why this needs to be
implemented in notmuch itself. I, for one, simply have a get-mail script
which calls offlineimap, notmuch new, and finally my sorting
script. This seems like a more straightforward way to manage this;
afterall, there are times (although rare) that I wish to run notmuch new
without running my sorting script (e.g. while debugging said
script). Personally, I'd say this is something best left to the user.

Cheers,

- Ben