hint: ignoring threads

Tue Nov 23 07:47:13 PST 2010

I like to ignore annoying threads, but notmuch has not easy way to
achieve it, right? Well, it actually has...

1) ok, in notmuch-show I read a message, decide the thread is uninteresting
(or annoying) and tag that message as "ignore".

2) Adding "and not tag:ignore in my saved searches doesn't help as there
are still messages without tag ignore, so notmuch search will still show
the threads. So I run this now after notmuch new: TADAA...

notmuch tag +ignore -- not tag:ignore and `notmuch search
--output=threads tag:ignore`

It seems to work, afterwords all messages in a thread where at least one
message was tagges "ignore" will be tagged "ignore" and my saved
searches suppress them.

Just wanted to share this tidbit as I can imagine plenty of usecases
where a similar scheme could be handy.

Sebastian