Maildir-flags synchronization now on master branch

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu Nov 11 05:04:48 PST 2010

Thanks to work by Michal, and a few followups by me, I'm now happy to
report that the patches for synchronizing tags with maildir flags are
now pushed out to the master branch.

I've done a fair bit of testing with this stuff, and I think it's ready
to be used. In fact, I've now got the synchronization turned on by
default.

Please, anyone that cares to test it, let me know how it goes.

There were two things I had wanted to do before pushing this out, but
I've decided to get some sleep now instead:

  1. Don't do maildir-flag things in non-maildir directories

  2. Preserve any unsupported flags when renaming

Of these, number 1 is likely less important. If someone is very
concerned about avoiding the maildir-style renaming then they can simply
configure maildir.synchronize_flags to false.

But this second feature is essential, I think. People may have valuable
information encoded in their mail store as maildir flags, and it's not
right of notmuch to destroy that, (particularly as notmuch has
previously treated the mailstore in an entirely read-only fashion).

So, be warned! If you do have precious information encoded as maildir
flags, (other than D,F,P,R, or S), then you'll want to avoid using the
latest notmuch or be sure to do:

	notmuch config set maildir.synchronize_flags false

Meanwhile, as soon as we fix this one misfeature, I think I'd like to
push out what we've got now as notmuch 0.5, (perhaps with a few of the
very recent, tiny changes that have been proposed).

Thanks for the help, everyone!

-Carl

carl.d.worth at intel.com