Questions before adoption: syncing across notmuch installations and IMAP folders as tags?

Gregor Kappler gregor.kappler at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 2 05:09:26 PDT 2010

Hi,

I am following notmuch development for some months now. I love the
idea, I am comfortable with adopting early and fiddling around. I
installed the latest git and got it up and running with offlineimap
<--> maildir sync, notmuch new and notmuchsync for imap flag/notmuch
tag sync.

There are a few must-have features that I cannot figure out whether
they are currently possible:

*syncing tags across several nutmuch instances on several computers.*
I am using emacs/mail on 3 computers. I need the state of notmuch to
be the same on all of them. running notmuch remotely is not an option
-- I need to work offline. offlineimap sync on all of them needs me
assign manual tags again and again which is redundant work and prone
to inconsistencies. Can I somehow sync tags? I understand there is the
brute force approach of dumping and restoring the database. I /could/
fiddle that into something with git sync? Did someone already do this?
is this viable on a small netbook performancewise?

*IMAP folders as tags.*
I have mail archives with IMAP folders that I consider huge (you may
say not much mail...). I hate the folder metaphor for organizing mail
- but I used it as well as I could. What folder a mail is in in my
case is not some dispensable irrelevant information. I really want to
use it to bootstrap my tags in a mail archive in notmuch. I also would
like this to be synced for webmail or mobile phone imap access. The
notmuchsync script of Sebastian Spaeth contains functions for one
direction only: msgs with certain tags can be moved to maildir folders
(and thus to imap folders with offlineimap). Is there some code to tag
msgs according to their folder too? I could take the notmuchsync code
and fiddle around again to do this. But to do it consistently one
would need to strip deprecated folder information from the tags after
a msg is moved into a different imap folder. This might be difficult
and slow.

Thanks a lot for this great project! Thanks a lot for your answers. I
would love to tag and move my mail into emacs.

Gregor