bug report: xapian error for message id with '..'

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Oct 22 17:48:29 PDT 2010

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 18:41:18 -0400, Jameson Rollins <jrollins at finestructure.net> wrote:
> So I think this means that the problem probably lies mostly in the emacs
> UI not properly quoting the id string.  What originally got me on this
> problem is that I was not able to manipulate the tag of this email from
> within emacs.

Hi Jameson,

Thanks for reporting that problem. (And thanks for mentioning that the
problem occurred when trying to manipulate tags---I was having trouble
finding the operation that wouldn't work with the problematic ID.)

I've just added a test case to our test suite to cover this. Then I also
added a fix to the emacs code to properly quote message IDs to resolve
the problem.

There might still be other quoting problems here or there in the emacs
interface, so let me know if you find anything else. But at least a
large class of problems is fixed here.

> I also note here that notmuch is not returning an error, even though a
> Xapian exception occurred and the search failed.  This is another
> important issue.  I'm not sure if I should bring it up in a separate
> message or not.  This goes back to the bug tracking issue.

A separate message would be preferred for me. I'm basically using tagged
messages to indicate open bugs, so I'm now stuck with being unable to
untag this thread until both of these issues are fixed. And that's not
ideal.

-Carl

PS. What's also obviously not ideal is that there's no external
visibility of my "open bug queue". I'd definitely like to be able to
easily advertise things like "No, I haven't forgotten about that bug you
reported in April---I just haven't fixed it yet." Anyone want to write a
nice "notmuch search --format=html" for me?

carl.d.worth at intel.com