notmuch-haskell

Ali Polatel alip at exherbo.org
Sun Oct 10 09:17:10 PDT 2010

On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 00:24:41 -0700, Bart Massey <bart at po8.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 15:05:07 -0700, Bart Massey <bart at po8.org> wrote:
> > > I've posted notmuch-haskell, Haskell FFI bindings for libnotmuch, on
> > > Hackage (http://hackage.haskell.org).  They're quite preliminary, have
> > > no documentation, and probably are a bit buggy.  However, they should
> > > let you get started working with notmuch from Haskell code.
> > >

> > I've written haskell bindings for notmuch using c2hs sometime ago but
> > didn't post them on Hackage. These bindings are well documented as far
> > as I can tell.
>
> Cool!  Why don't you look over what I've put up and what you have, and
> see if you can get a "best of both worlds" version.  I have no
> particular attachment to what I did---though I learned a lot---other
> than that I needed a decent set of Haskell bindings.  My bindings are a
> bit above the literal c2hs level in some places, so maybe that work is
> useful to you?

I've read it a bit and it definitely looks useful. I have plans to
convert my version of hs-notmuch from c2hs to hsc which is easier to
maintain and less likely to break when switching ghc versions.

> > I've also started writing a notmuch email reader in Haskell, called
> > Qoropa. It can't do much right now, you can only view search results
> > with it.
>
> Good start!
>
> > Due to lack of time, I couldn't work on these projects in the previous
> > months, but I'm willing to start coding again.
> >
> > My knowledge of Haskell is primitive, which you can understand if you
> > read the code but if you want to cooperate anyway, I'd really be more
> > than happy to give you push access to these repositories.
> >
> > http://github.com/alip/hs-notmuch
> > http://github.com/alip/qoropa
>
> I honestly won't have time to look at stuff for a few weeks, so whatever
> you can figure out is great.  I'm happy to cooperate in any way that
> seems useful to you, time permitting.

That's great news! Let's see what the next weeks bring. :)

Added notmuch at notmuchmail.org to Cc.

--
Regards,
Ali Polatel