notmuchsync: handling of the deleted tag

Rob Browning rlb at defaultvalue.org
Mon Sep 20 19:25:13 PDT 2010

Sebastian Spaeth <Sebastian at SSpaeth.de> writes:

> I am unsure how to handle this in a better way. What should notmuchsync
> --prune do if it finds multiple mail files that are associated with a
> "deleted" tag?

Conceptually what I'd like for it to do, is reference count -- only mark
the message deleted if every occurrence (across all maildirs) is marked
trashed (T).

Though even there I can imagine corner cases: imagine that notmuch
doesn't initially see all your maildirs -- perhaps because you're using
a folder filter in offlineimap, and so there are untrashed copies in the
maildirs it hasn't seen yet.  But reference counting of everything you
can see is probably still better than what we have now, if it's
feasible.

> And what should --revsync do when it finds a mail file that is marked
> as expired.

Actually revsync is all I use so far, so that's what I'm talking about
above.

> If notmuch gave me at least all filenames that are associated with a
> mail id, I could introduce a command line option "--prune --safe" which would
> Sebastian

Looks like you got cut off there.

Thanks
--