bug#6214: 23.1; json-read-string crashes emacs with long string

Chong Yidong cyd at stupidchicken.com
Tue Aug 17 08:10:37 PDT 2010

Michal Sojka <sojkam1 at fel.cvut.cz> writes:

> On Mon, 16 Aug 2010, Chong Yidong wrote:
>> Thanks, that is a useful backtrace.  Could you apply this patch and see
>> if it fixes the problem?
>
> Great! The patch fixes the problem. Now I can view 20 MB email in
> notmuch.

Hmm, there is a problem, though.  If we attempt to avoid a stack
overflow in `apply' by using the heap rather than the stack to store
large numbers of arguments, those arguments are invisible to the
stack-marking gargbage collector.

One workaround is to temporarily disable garbage collection if using the
heap.  Stefan, any ideas?