A problem and a suggestion

Stephen Paul Weber singpolyma at singpolyma.net
Wed Aug 11 11:31:37 PDT 2010

Somebody claiming to be Michal Sojka wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Aug 2010, Stephen Paul Weber wrote:
> > Anyway.  I installed notmuch a few days ago (0.1), ran the setup, ran
> > notmuch new and i said it found 30000+ files, but no new mail?  No searches
> > return any results.  What am I doing wrong?
>
> I guess you have your mails in a wrong fomrat. Do you see "Note:
> Ignoring non-mail file" messages during notmuch new? You may also try
> notmuch new --verbose.

Hmm.  I'm pointing it at a maildir.  I deleted the .notmuch folder in the
maildir and ran notmuch new --verbose with the following result:

$ notmuch new --verbose
Found 33065 total files (that's not much mail).
No new mail.

and searches turn up no results.

> > I gather by other threads on the list archives that editing a message
> > does not make it "new"? So notmuch just gets whatever the first
> > version of the message contents it sees is? And if the file gets
> > renamed (by mutt for example, when marked as read) the filename stored
> > by notmuch would then be wrong?
>
> Yes. AFAIK notmuch assumes that messages are immutable and when you edit
> the message, notmuch doesn't re-index it.

Ok, so edited headers are ignored.

> Notmuch new code is able to
> detect renames so if you rename the file, the filename in the database
> is wrong only until you run notmuch new again.

Oh, cool.  Good.

> > This would be especially useful if notmuch re-indexed a message when I
> > edit this header.
>
> I'm not sure how hard it would be to implement this and what would be
> the performance implications. You should store modification time of a
> message in the database and re-index the file when the mtime on disk in
> newer than in the database.

Right.  An mtime-based solution would make sense to me.  That should (I
would think) have minor performance implications unless you edit a lot of
your mail often.

- --
Stephen Paul Weber, @singpolyma
See <http://singpolyma.net> for how I prefer to be contacted