Use of "notmuch count" in notmuch-hello.el

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Jun 4 09:49:47 PDT 2010

On Sat, 8 May 2010 13:35:39 +1000, Jason White <jason at jasonjgw.net> wrote:
> The ELisp code in the current Git master branch calls notmuch count, rather
> than notmuch count *.
>
> I don't know whether this is supposed to be corrected in the C code or in the
> Emacs code; the manual page still documents the old behaviour.
>
> Here's a quick patch that enables m-x notmuch to run for me.
> -		     (car (process-lines notmuch-command "count")))
> +		     (car (process-lines notmuch-command "count" "*")))
>        (widget-insert " messages (that's not much mail).\n\n"))

The "notmuch count '*'" convention is new, but the old "notmuch count"
convention is still supported. I'm not sure how you got into a state
where "M-x notmuch" would not run unless you used the new convention.

All versions of notmuch support the old convention, so that's the one
that should be used by the emacs code.

I hope that helps answer the question,

-Carl

carl.d.worth at intel.com