Kudos! Also: +1 PGP!

Jameson Rollins jrollins at finestructure.net
Mon Apr 26 04:16:16 PDT 2010

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 19:57:33 +0100, Darren McGuicken <mailing-notmuch at fernseed.info> wrote:
> I've been slowly moving all my day-to-day mailing needs to notmuch over
> the last month and the only thing I'm missing is native message
> decryption and verification support - is this being actively worked on,
> I haven't seen it mentioned in a while?  Or is it feasible to add this
> as a target for an upcoming merge window?  How far away are we from
> something workable - are we just(!) looking for someone to stitch the
> code together or do we need to brainstorm a little more exactly what the
> approach is likely to be?

Hey, Darren.  Some of us are very keenly interested in getting PGP/MIME
support in notmuch as well.  It has been mentioned on irc recently, and
I've been meaning to bring it up again on the list again.

It seems like a pretty tricky thing to implement, but I think some folks
have started looking at it.  I don't know how far anyone has gotten,
though.  I certainly don't have any idea how to do it.  It obviously
requires some sophisticated MIME part parsing, which has been improving
recently.  Other Emacs MUAs obviously handle it, so there's probably a
lot to be learned from them.  Your help and suggestions would definitely
be appreciated.

> In the meantime, I find myself using the snippet from Tassilo in:
>
>     id:87zl6cl595.fsf at thinkpad.tsdh.de
>
> Which lets me jump to the selected encrypted message in Gnus and have it
> in turn auto-decrypt the text.  Works well but does need a second mail
> program ;-)

I'm interested in using this as a stop-gap, but unfortunately I'm not
finding this message in my local store.  Can you point to url in an
archive, or forward this to me or the list?

Thanks!

jamie.