RFC: Adding an attachment composition interface to notmuch

Jesse Rosenthal jrosenthal at jhu.edu
Sun Apr 25 18:06:01 PDT 2010

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 22:12:21 -0500, Jesse Rosenthal <jrosenthal at jhu.edu> wrote:
> Tach is a minor mode that adds mutt-like attachment handling to
> message mode. It's not notmuch specific, but I wrote it to use with
> notmuch, and I thought it might be of use to some on the list.

I wanted to see if there would be any interest in adding this to notmuch
in 0.4 or after. It makes composing messages with attachments much more
pleasant that using raw mml-mode, and would likely be much more
accomodating to new users. With the new notmuch-mua hooks, it would be
easy to turn on and off as well. I've been using it for a number of
months, and have not had any problems with it.

One issue to note: if you start composing a message with tach-mode
enabled, and then disable it, the attachments you added with tach won't
get added properly (there will just be a plaintext list of them at the
the bottom of the message after a separator). In other words, tach
converts the attachment list on sending, just as message-mode adds
headers, removes "text follows this line", etc. This doesn't seem like
an issue to me (a message started by message-mode can't be sent by
another MUA either) but I did want to bring it to people's attention.

If there is interest, I would take the necessary steps to integrate it
and prepare a patch.

All best,
Jesse