Wrapping up the 0.3 release

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Sat Apr 24 08:37:11 PDT 2010

I pushed hard to get most everything we wanted for 0.3 done yesterday,
(which was one week since 0.2). I think we're still within the tolerance
of my published "about a week" schedule, but I would like to wrap things
up soon.

Here are the features that I still have left in my queue at this point:

  * improve from-header guessing

    Dirk is looking into fixing a segfault found by the test suite here

  * Fcc, Maildir, and Emacs message-mode -- a bit of code

    This is next on my list to apply. Thanks for the extra testing!

There are a few other features that people had proposed but that didn't
pass review yet. If people follow-up with those quickly, they can still
go in. Otherwise, there's another new merge window coming up soon!

Meanwhile, I'm aware of two regressions I'd like to see fixed before
0.3:

  * Reply is now splitting the window

    We're copying the original message into the new reply buffer, so
    what's the advantage of splitting here?

  * Composing a new message with 'm' brings up headers in a scrambled
    order.

    A minor point, but it would be nice to fix this.

Finally, any of the tweaks I suggested to notmuch-hello mode would be
quite welcome. I might take a whack at some of these.

Then, there's the task of writing up NEWS. Dirk started helping with
that, which I appreciate. If anyone else wants to write up descriptions
of their favorite features that have been merged, that would be great.

-Carl