problem with notmuch-search-authors-width in JSON emacs implementation

Jameson Rollins jrollins at finestructure.net
Thu Apr 22 06:22:32 PDT 2010

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 08:52:59 +0100, David Edmondson <dme at dme.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 00:37:25 -0400, Jameson Rollins <jrollins at finestructure.net> wrote:
> > On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 19:09:35 -0400, Jameson Rollins <jrollins at finestructure.net> wrote:
> > > Hey, folks.  I just build from Carl's HEAD which includes the new emacs
> > > JSON interface and I'm noticing a problem with the
> > > notmuch-search-authors-width variable.  If I set the variable as
> > > follows:
> > >
> > > (setq notmuch-search-authors-width 40)
> > >
> > > author lists that overrun the specified width start spitting out into
> > > the subject field.  I think bremner just confirmed this on irc.  I'll
> > > try to look into this when I get a chance, but I don't have time right
> > > now.  Maybe someone with more intimate knowledge of this piece of code
> > > could figure it out more quickly.
>
> I thought that I had this fixed up properly. Sorry for the breakage.

No worries.

> Can you show any explicit settings you have for
> `notmuch-search-authors-width' and `notmuch-search-result-format'? Where
> do you set them?

Changing notmuch-search-authors-width to anything longer than 20 (which
is the default set internally) causes the problem (I had it set to 40
when I first noticed).  It's very easy to test.  You can
notmuch-search-authors-width on the fly from the configuration manager
and see the result.  I have not modified notmuch-search-result-format.
See my previous email on tracking down the issue.

Thanks for the help.

jamie.