[RFC] reordering and cleanup of thread authors

Dirk Hohndel hohndel at infradead.org
Wed Apr 21 20:57:18 PDT 2010

On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 19:42:49 -0700, Dirk Hohndel <hohndel at infradead.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 03:53:59 +0200, Michal Sojka <sojkam1 at fel.cvut.cz> wrote:
> > I think that using | as a separator would help here. Let's say that
> > initially we have "Matched Author, Non Matched, Matched Again" we can
> > tranform this to  "Matched Author, Matched Again| Non Matched". This way,
> > the length of the string remains the same. If there is no | after
> > transformation, we know that all authors matched because there is always
> > at least one mathed author in the search results.
>
> That's a great idea. I'll update the patch to do that.

Since Carl just prompted me, I wrote an updated patch (will post in a
separate message replying to this one).

I made the change suggested by Michal, fixed a bug or two and removed
the part of the patch that was trying to cleanup author names in "Last,
First" format - on IRC it was pointed out to me that I was overlooking
another use of the ',' in email addresses: accounts that are shared by
multiple people. And it makes no sense to reorder email addresses of the
form "Wife, Husband and child" <familyaccount at add.res>

I haven't given up on this, though. Since Exchange and Outlook have this
nasty habit of creating these "Last, First" <first.last at company.com> or
"Last, First MI" <first.mi.last at company.com> from headers, I really want
to add the option to clean those up. So I'll submit a separate patch
that checks if we have exactly one of these two pattern shown here - and
that then reorders things

/D

--
Dirk Hohndel