Update on 0.3 progress

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Apr 21 18:11:14 PDT 2010

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 13:32:25 -0700, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:
> I know that I want to merge David Edmunson's rewrite of the emacs
> interface to be built on top of --format=json and add a ton of features,
> (better attachment handling, notmuch-hello, etc.). I think that's more
> than enough to justify a new release right there.

The bulk of this rewrite is merged now. I left a few features out with
review to David. He (or others) may want to refresh some of those to get
them in. (I'd especially like a binding for opening all messages in a
thread).

I also want to look at notmuch-hello stuff now.

> But if you have other things you'd like to see in this release, please
> send a message to the list

Most of what came in in response to this request has now been merged.
Notable things that made the merge window but have not been merged yet
include:

  * Improve heuristic for guessing best from address in replies
    id:1271451102-11336-1-git-send-email-hohndel at infradead.org

    I just need to review and test this still.

  * The archive operation should only archive open messages
    id:87633sfnyq.fsf at yoom.home.cworth.org

    This still needs an implementation or else it won't make it.

> PS. I still never sent a list of the features which were proposed for
> the 0.2 release but postponed. I'll assemble that list soon with my
> comments on where each of the features stand.

Here's that list now. I really should have had this list ready at the
time I announced the opening of the 0.3 window so that people would have
had more notice to refresh these. I'll try to be better about that in
the future:

  * Add maildir directory name as tag name for messages
    id:20100210030142.GD16686 at mail.rocksoft.com

    I've postponed this until a database-schema-update planned for 0.4

  * Initial support for maildir flags
    id:1270755931-24290-1-git-send-email-pioto at pioto.org

    Same here

  * Reordering and cleanup of thread authors
    id:m31veru7vn.fsf at x200.gr8dns.org

    This is an interesting feature, but says "I don't think this is
    ready to be pulled" in the commit message and then says "I'll update
    the patch" at the end of the thread with no update. So I'd still
    like to see this refreshed (and could still take this for 0.3).

    Note that the recent fix for the sorting of calls to
    _add_matched_messages probably means that this feature will work
    better now than before.

  * 'F' in search mode takes us to a list of folders
    id:87vdc2q2l7.fsf at yoom.home.cworth.org

    I rejected this on the basis of the choice of key-binding. I expect
    we'll get a good keybinding once we add notmuch-hello.

  * Fcc, Maildir, and Emacs message-mode -- a bit of code
    id:873a1zs3t5.fsf at jhu.edu

    I've postponed this due to the "I've not tested this robustly since
    I don't actually use it". With a little confirmed testing, I'd love
    to have this in place (and on by default)

  * RFC: User-Agent header
    id:87iq821hba.fsf at SSpaeth.de

    This seemed like a good feature proposal, but I didn't see a
    complete implementation in time for 0.2. There is one now

  * Mailstore abstraction v4
    id:1270737766-29237-1-git-send-email-sojkam1 at fel.cvut.cz

    I rejected this due to being extra abstraction in advance of any use
    case. Michal has recently been following up with pieces of this that
    are directly justified, (like "notmuch cat"). Thanks!

-Carl