Address completion

Wed Apr 21 07:11:09 PDT 2010

David improved the notmuch-address.el glue today, and I improved my
addrlookup tool also. It is much more intelligent now:

We parse the notmuch db in up to 3 passes now where each find from
the previous pass is sorted with heigher weight, ie we will first output
addresses in our "address book" then addresses we have mailed to
previously and only than at mails we have received.

1st pass: Find all 'from' addresses that are in messages tagged as
      'addressbook' (this tag is configurable in .notmuch-config under
      [user] addrbook_tag=foo but uses addressbook by default)

2nd pass: Find all 'to','cc','bcc' addresses that match our criteria and
      that we ever sent a mail from our primary mail address

3rd pass: If pass1 + 2 lead to less than 10 message hits, perform a pass
      3.  Look at all email 'from' headers that match our criteria and
      use those.  We limit this, because notmuch opens all mail files
      that might match, to read the header out of them, potentially
      hurting performance a lot. So don't do pass 3 if pass 1 & 2 lead
      to likely results already.

Using the address book feature, you can implement simple 'blacklisting'
of emails.  If you have friends at Sun for example, you might want to
'notmuch tag +addressbook from:"oracle.com"' to give those addresses
priority over the sun.com addresses you have previously used.

Performance is still good enough. Doing a "addrlookup" which returns everyone
in my "addressbook" and all mail addresses I ever sent mail to (just
165), takes real 0m0.095s with a warm file cache. If the file cache is
cold, a search for e.g. "he" can take real	0m2.385s. The reason is
that notmuch opens all possibly matching mail files in order to retrieve
the headers.

Compile directly from vala or the attached c source. Compiling the c source works with glib2.0-dev installed:

cc -o addrlookup addrlookup.c `pkg-config --cflags --libs gobject-2.0`
-lnotmuch