Difference between search and filter

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Mon Apr 19 18:16:53 PDT 2010

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 00:23:01 +0200, Xavier Maillard <xma at gnu.org> wrote:
> GNU Emacs interface comes with 2 functions I am not sure I am
> using correctly.
>
> What's the difference between searching and filtering exactly (s
> and f) ? It seems to me that they deserve the same purpose.

The search command executes a new global search. It will display all
threads from the database with messages that match the search terms.

The filter command refines the current search. It will take the current
search and filter it down to those threads with messages match the
search terms.

The filter command is a convenience function for taking the current
search terms, appending "and <new-search-terms>" and then running a new
global search.

Does that make sense?

-Carl